Pages

Saturday 28 January 2012

Saturday 6 miles....not what I expected

There is a method to Marcus's madness...it's all in the pacing...

Got up this s'morning very nervous...what else would I be!! 7. 30 ate my lumpy porridge, knocked back my Benecol ...cup of tea and waited...for my first 6 mile run...

Met Marcus in Tesco's last night and he kind of put my mind at rest a little bit...he was dividing up the groups into fast and slow(that's me that's me!)...brilliant I skipped around Tesco's like a loola.....

We all met In the Aquadome car park at ten O clock...think there were about 35 people running this smorning which was a fantastic turnout..wondered how many would end up in the slow group..Brian comes over to me and slips me a gel like a druggie...my eyes lit up.. Woohoo might pick up speed with this thing... he advised me to take it after the hill...

10 sharp off we go...Marcus starts on the dot...up my favourite hill Ballyard..legs felt tired already...shite how am I going to run 6 bloody miles! Ok ok I got my breathing back..settled a little bit...got over the hill...and had a look around to see who was beside me..normally I kind of disassociate myself because I'm concentrating so much on my breathing and running that I just ignore everyone...and i grunt every so often... a lady ( don't know her name!) and Brian were parallel with me...didn't want anyone seeing me take the gel so I knew Brian was chatting away to her so sneakily I tear off the top like a mental head and knock it back...felt oily...look around, no one saw me woohoo! Thinking away to myself.. maybe I might get a spurt and pass everyone out! I think everyone would fall over with shock literally...anyway I kept dreaming away to myself...something is wrong here...I had to look around, I was still actually running with people...normally past the rugby club I start to drift back..and there were about 6 people behind me...fecking brilliant! Marcus was pacing us which suited me down to the ground...loved it...no more worrying bout catching up...nice and steady...felt good...

Marcus spurts out advice every so often...all I hear are the words ' nipple rash' and he telling us not to buy new bra's and knickers! so that means if I'm carried into the medical tent during the marathon for some mad reason there will be holes in my knickers and my bra will probably be falling off me at that stage! how nice....

hit about 4 miles and I see people turning up ahead toward tonavane ...this must be the extra mile that Marcus so generously is putting in for us...feck,where are we going... I knew this road but only drove it in the dark two weeks previously to suss out his route..still with the group...this is mad I thought to myself... hit near the end and turned..farmer joe was gawking at us on the way back up the road...peeping from over his hedge...he must have thought we were training for the Olympics as we were so chirpy! Sheila gives him a salute like a thoroughbred runner! We all laugh...strange how a group carries you along and you don't realise it...

Hit Blennerville football pitch...still going good... Marcus tells me to fall back behind him...maybe the gel kicked in...no one has ever told me to slow down! knew we were on the home stretch so I was probably getting a bit excited!

Turned onto Blennerville road, Marcus points out another runner coming towards us ' Stephen griffin' ..who the feck was he?! John Griffins brother the renowned marathon runner...you learn something new every day...hadn't a clue to be honest but I felt like giving him a presidential wave saying ' look at me I'm a runner just like you!' ...saddo...

Tried crossing the road before the station house..Sheila Gleasure our newly appointed slow group ' safety officer' directs us across the road on the bend! She bounced along, shuffling us all across like cattle in a mart...I was weaning a little bit...

On the home stretch , 1 miles to go... the fecking canal...it was the longest mile ever..but I kept the head down and focused on dodging all the puddles...met two lovely doggies along the way..I actually think they gave me a dirty look...could you blame them..
all they saw was a group of sweaty red headed runners plodding towards them....

Saw the aquadome...fantastic!! couldn't jump up and down cause I was so fecking stiff...near the carpark Marcus tells us sprint in...what planet is he on?! there's Bob hope and no hope that I was going to sprint into the car park like an arthritic granny...I've just done my first 6 miles dimwit! woohoo!

fantastic... only for Marcus and the rest of the group I wouldn't have been able to do it... I must say the group are a lovely bunch and everyone seemed to be delighted with today...so congrats to everyone..

I thoroughly enjoyed today...

But I did hear Marcus mention an added hill next week...feck must go for a drive tomorrow...
6 mile finish Aquadome Carpark

1 comment:

If anyone has any advice or suggestions please feel free to post, im sure there are plenty people out there like myself wishing to run....